Pages

Monday 23 March 2015

Sloane Sqaure & Savage Beauty: Dresses in the Day

On this day I had visited Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty at the V&A and as I'm sure with most people that have been, I was silenced by seeing these extraordinary pieces so up-close. Especially in the Cabinet of Curiosities where you were literally surrounded with some of the most creative pieces
of work I have ever seen, I could've spent hours in there.
 
At the same time, and with no disrespect, I had a realisation that the actual process of making an item of clothing, simply sewing a piece of material to make the shape of a dress, is perhaps simpler than I thought. Now, I could never create anything as close to stunning and creative as the McQueen pieces, but perhaps if I made the effort to push my creative energy into fashion design I could find it easier to attain than I think. As said by Henry Ford "Whether you think you can, or think you can't - you are right" which in essence states that if you think you can't do something, then you will never do it. If you think you can, you will be able to achieve it and I've been really interested in this thought of self belief and attainment. 
 
It's what fascinates me about the fashion industry. It's ability to create a fantasy world and dream like quality in it's images, film and theatrical runway shows that make it seem so out of grasp from people's reach but yet allows them for that moment, to escape somewhere else for a bit of light relief from the stresses of everyday life and to be left feeling inspired, but ultimately the feeling of it being unattainable. Thus seeing these pieces in person has ignited my passion to create things in 3D and I was both awed but inspired, and excited that perhaps I could get creating pieces myself one day. But of course one could ever only dream of being as great as the legendary McQueen himself.
 
Theres something about wearing a midi bodycon dress in the daytime that makes me feel as if I've instantly attained some sort of added power as well as the reminder that dresses don't have to saved for a special occasion. I've enjoyed feeling the suns comforting warmth on my skin and the golden glow my skin illuminates in it's contact. And so here's to believing in our own abilities as intelligent humans, and enjoying the fresh air against your skin.
 




 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment